Key Stage 3 Year 8 – Diet and health
Updated March 2017
Time: 18 hours
This scheme of work has been developed to enable pupils to learn how to cook a range of dishes safely and hygienically and to apply their knowledge of nutrition. In addition, they will consider the factors that affect food choice, food availability and food waste.
Pupils will have the opportunity to work through the following contexts:
- Domestic and local (home and health);
- Industrial (food).
- Pupils will deepen their knowledge and understanding of food and nutrition;
- Pupils will further develop food preparation and cooking techniques;
- Pupils will deepen their knowledge of consumer food and drink choice;
- Pupils will be able to apply their knowledge to make informed choices;
- Pupils will develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently;
- Pupils will build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high quality products for a wide range of users;
- Pupils will evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others.
Learning outcomes overview
Through this scheme of work, pupils will:
- Recall and apply the principles of The Eatwell Guide and the 8 tips for healthy eating;
- Explain energy and how needs change through life;
- Name the main nutrients, sources and functions;
- Adapt and follow recipes using appropriate ingredients and equipment to prepare and cook a range of more complex dishes;
- Demonstrate a wider range of food preparation and cooking techniques;
- Apply the principles of food safety and hygiene;
- Explain the factors that affect food and drink choice;
- Demonstrate the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to engage in an iterative process of designing and making in a range of contexts such as home, health and agriculture;
- Be given regular opportunities to demonstrate and apply their knowledge and understanding of food science;
- Be given regular opportunities to consolidate their literacy and numeracy skills by using them purposefully in order to learn.
- Track their progress using the My learning journey booklet.
You will need to modify this example to best suit the needs of your school and the pupil you teach. This resource has been provided as exemplar materials to support SoW writing.