Explore food is a user-friendly online nutritional analysis tool for secondary school students, available free from Food – a fact of life.
Explore food has been designed to be easy to use, guiding students through the analysis of a recipe or a day’s diet. It provides data for the student to analyse and draw conclusions away from their PC or tablet, further supporting their studies.
To access Explore food, click here.
To tell us what you think about Explore food, click here.
Why use Explore food?
- It is free to access.
- Students can use it at school or at home (great for homework).
- It is iPad friendly, as well as PC and MAC.
- Students can save and print their work.
- It supports what you teach.
- It creates food labels.
Explore food allows students to:
- calculate the energy and nutrients provided by a recipe or diet;
- compare the energy and nutrients provided by different food and drinks;
- model different portion sizes for a recipe;
- compare a diet for a day to UK Dietary Reference Values (DRVs);
- model different DRVs to a diet;
- save work to continue another time (saved as a file);
- export work to a spreadsheet file for further analysis or graph production;
- print work.
The tool is useful platform for teachers to demonstrate how changes to the selection and weights of different ingredients, foods and drinks may have an impact to the energy and nutrients provided by a recipe or a diet. Using the day’s diet to compare with DRVs can also help to facilitate menu planning to meet the needs of different groups of the population. A detailed teachers’ guide is also available, with hints and tips, information about portion sizes and photocopiable planning sheets for students.
Explore Food supports work in Food Technology, Home Economics, Catering, Health and Food Technology and Science. It can be used at school or at home.
Let us know what you think
We are keen to know what you think about Explore food. To participate, click here.
To support students undertaking recipe and diet nutritional analysis, a series of worksheets have been created - follow these links:
A teachers' guide is avaliable -click here to download.
A range of templates are avalable to support costing, weight/percentage ratios, recipe structure and flow charts. To access these, click here.
To learn about and undertake a range of sensory evalution activities, a range of presentations, templates and worksheets are avalable. To access these, click here.
Explore food has been developed by the British Nutrition Foundation (BNF) and has been supported by the All Saints Educational Trust.