A consumer is the user or buyer of a service or product. A retailer is the person or organisation who sells goods to the public from premises such as shops and supermarkets. Meat is a food commodity sold by retailers to consumers.
Most consumers have particular likes and dislikes. Retailers offer consumers a range of products to choose from. Consumers therefore have to make decisions and choices such as:
- What they want to buy and why
- Which product will best meet their needs
This module is about the different factors that consumers need to take into consideration.
- A consumer is the user of buyer of a service or product. A retailers is a person or organisation who sells goods to the public from a premises.
- A range of considerations affect consumers choice of meat and the cut of meat.
- Market research companies provide information on factors influencing consumer product choice and trends in purchasing.
- Meat is available to purchase from butchers and supermarkets. Different opportunities and constraints apply to each retailer.
- Food labelling provides consumers with essential product information. There are legal requirements for labelling on food products.
- Ask students to conduct their own market research by completing the worksheet Survey of meat purchased. Students could create graphs using the information collected. Students could repeat the survey during a different season of the year to determine any seasonal differences.
- Challenge students to design consumer-friendly packaging for a meat dish they will be making. Ask the students to ensure they have included the legally required labelling information.
- Invite a local butcher as a guest speaker to explain more about his job and the support he provides consumers.
A worksheet to survey the types of meat purchased.
A worksheet about food labels.
A worksheet about meat and consumers.
A presentation about consumer choice.
A poster looking at applying nutrition principles.
A poster looking at the factors that affect food choice.
A poster looking at the five senses.
A poster looking at cuts of red meat and how to prepare them.
A poster looking at ways to save money when cooking.
A poster looking which areas of the UK different dishes come from.
A poster looking at food presentation and styling.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?