Digestion involves different parts of the body, each having an important role.
Energy and nutrients provided by food and drink are utilised by the body in a process called digestion.
Pupils should recognise the parts of the body involved in digestion and know their roles in the four major phases of the digestion process.
This area covers:
- To introduce the digestion process, show The digestion process presentation. Task the pupils to complete The digestion process worksheet.
- Using the information from The digestion process presentation, ask the pupils to complete one of the following three activities:
- Digestive stages worksheet – pupils draw each role different parts of the body (mouth, teeth, stomach, intestines) play in digestion;
- Digestive functions worksheet – pupils match the body part to the function;
- Label the digestive system worksheet – pupils link the body part name to the correct part of the body.
- Show the short video clips which explain Ingestion, Digestion, Absorption and Elimination.
- To check understanding, challenge the pupils to complete the Kahoot digestion quiz. Use the Kahoot digestion quiz Q&A to check their answers.
- Challenge the pupils to create a learning resource to use with the rest of the class using the Digestion Key terms and definitions. They could use the internet and create a crossword puzzle in which the words are terms and the clues are definitions or a word search in which the definition rather than the word is given as a clue.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?