1 x bagel
1 x 200g can chopped tomatoes
2-3 x basil leaves
1 x spring onion
¼ ball of low fat mozzarella
1 x garlic clove
Can opener, sieve, mixing bowl, kitchen scissors, dessert spoon, bread knife, chopping board, baking tray, oven gloves, fish slice, plate.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C or gas mark 4.
- Open and strain the canned tomatoes.
- Tip the tomatoes into the mixing bowl.
- Tear the basil leaves finely and add to the mixing bowl.
- Snip the spring onion into the mixing bowl, using the kitchen scissors.
- Stir all the ingredients together.
- Slice the bagel into quarters, and then halve each quarter through the middle.
- Lay the pieces of bagel on a baking tray, crust side down.
- Bake in the oven, for 5-8 minutes until slightly brown and crispy.
- Allow to cool and use a fish slice to transfer them onto the plate.
- Peel the garlic clove and rub it 2 or 3 times over each piece of bagel.
- Spoon the tomato mixture onto each piece of bagel.
- Tear small pieces of mozzarella and add to the top of each piece of bagel.
- Use oven gloves when putting food into, and taking food out of, the oven.
- Try different types of bread, e.g. slices of ciabatta or baguette, bread rolls.
- Try different types of cheese, e.g. Lancashire, Edam.
- Try different herbs, e.g. chives, coriander.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?