50g wholemeal flour
50g fine oatmeal
½ x 5ml spoon dried yeast
15g melted butter
Vegetable oil for shallow frying
2 medium eggs
2 x 15ml spoon milk
1 x 15ml spoon chopped chives
Bowl, 2 x spoons, whisk, jug, frying pan, pallet knife or fish slice, saucepan.
- Mix together the flour, oatmeal, yeast and season well.
- Whisk in the butter and 125ml of tepid water.
- Cover and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add 4 large spoonfuls of the batter into the pan to make 4 oatcakes.
- Fry for 2 minutes on each side until golden.
- Meanwhile, place the eggs and milk in a small saucepan and cook, stirring until scrambled.
- Top the oatcakes with scrambled eggs and sprinkle over the chives.
Try making smaller pancakes instead, great for a quick snack. Serve with grilled bacon or sausages.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?