150g plain flour
50g light soft brown sugar
Large pinch of cinnamon, to taste
Zest of one orange
Grater, saucer, sieve, mixing bowl, baking tray, fork, oven gloves, cooling rack.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/gas mark 3.
- Using the small holes on a grater, lightly grate some zest from the orange onto a saucer. Try to avoid the white pith.
- Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl and add the cinnamon, sugar and orange zest.
- Rub in the butter.
- Bring the dough together and knead it lightly.
- Place the dough on the baking tray and press or roll the dough into a round disc 1cm thick.
- Prick with a fork and decorate the edge. Using oven gloves, place the tray in the oven for 15–20 minutes until firm.
- Cut the shortbread into eight segments and place on a cooling rack straight away to cool.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?