450g lean beef braising steak
1 beef stock cube
800g short crust pastry
1 small egg
Baking tray, vegetable knife, vegetable peeler, chopping board, large bowl, kettle, mixing spoon, flour dredger, rolling pin, fork, small bowl, pastry brush, oven gloves.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C or Gas Mark 4.
2. Grease or line a baking tray.
3. Prepare the vegetables:
• peel and chop the onion;
• peel and chop the swede;
• peel and chop the potato.
4. Using a clean knife and chopping board, cut the lean beef braising steak into small cubes and place into a bowl.
5. Add the onion, swede and potato.
6. Crumble the beef stock cube over the meat and vegetable mixture.
7. Stir in the water.
8. On a floured surface, divide the short crust pastry into 4 and shape into balls.
9. Roll out each ball of dough into a circle approximately 23cm in diameter.
10. Place a quarter of the filling into the centre of one circle.
11. Beat the egg in a small bowl.
12. Brush the edge of the pastry with the beaten egg. Carefully bring the sides of the pastry up and over the filling, pressing lightly together to seal and crimp.
13. Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling.
14. Brush the beaten egg over each pasty.
15. Place onto the baking tray and bake in the oven for 1 hour.
• Serve with mashed potato and vegetables, or salad and baked beans.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?