25g plain flour
Freshly milled black pepper
50g breadcrumbs, white or wholemeal
400g pork liver
3 x 15ml spoons olive or rapeseed oil
200g asparagus tips
100g ready-made hollandaise sauce
150g beetroot purée or slices
Measuring jug, fork, 3 x small mixing bowls, red chopping board, sharp knife, measuring spoons, large non-stick frying pan, plate, saucepan, colander, spoon.
1. Crack the egg into a measuring jug and lightly whisk with a fork. Pour into a small mixing bowl.
2. Place the flour in a small mixing bowl and season with the pepper.
3. Place the breadcrumbs in another small mixing bowl.
4. Using a red board, slice the liver. Wash and dry hands thoroughly after touching the raw meat.
5. Dip each liver slice into the egg first, then the flour followed by the breadcrumbs, shaking off all surplus crumbs.
6. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and gently fry the liver for 6-8 minutes and until golden brown on both sides.
7. Put the liver slices onto a warm plate until all are done.
8. In the same frying pan, heat the butter to a nut-brown stage and pour around the liver slices.
9. Cook the asparagus tips in boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Drain carefully over a sink using a colander.
10. Place a neat bundle of asparagus tips on a plate and put a slice of liver on top.
11. Garnish with the hollandaise sauce, pea shoots, beetroot purée or beetroot slices.
• If making the hollandaise sauce yourself, you can turn it into ‘foaming hollandaise’: whisk 2 egg whites to soft peaks in a large clean mixing bowl and fold into the sauce immediately once made. This makes the sauce lighter and it goes further. Use eggs stamped with the British Lion mark.
• To reduce the fat and saturated fat content of this dish, replace the hollandaise sauce with reduced fat mayonnaise.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?