2.5cm root ginger
4 fresh beetroot
1 x 15ml spoon oil
1 cinnamon stick
4 lamb shanks
450ml red grape juice or red wine
2 x 15ml spoon redcurrant jelly
Vegetable knife, chopping board, vegetable peeler, flameproof casserole dish and lid, measuring spoon, mixing spoon, measuring jug, oven gloves
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C or Gas Mark 4.
2. Prepare the ingredients:
· peel and thinly slice the root ginger;
· cut the plums in half and remove the stones;
· peel the beetroot.
3. In a large flameproof casserole dish heat the oil, add the ginger and the cinnamon stick broken in half.
4. Add the lamb shanks and brown all over.
5. Add the red grape juice or red wine, redcurrant jelly, plums, beetroot and a few twists of black pepper.
6. Bring to the mixture to the boil and cover with a tight fitting lid.
7. Place the casserole dish in the oven and cook for about two hours until the meat is tender and falls off the bone
Serve with couscous and fresh steamed green beans
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?