1 x 15ml spoon oil
2 lean lamb shanks
½ x 5ml spoon ground ginger
1 x 5ml spoon ground cumin
½ x 5ml spoon paprika
1 cinnamon stick
½ lamb stock cube
150ml boiling water
1 large potato
1 small aubergine
Oven-proof pan with lid, measuring spoons, kettle, measuring jug, knife, chopping board, juice squeezer, vegetable peeler, oven gloves
1. Pre-heat the oven 180°C or Gas Mark 4.
2. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof pan, add the lean lamb shanks and brown all over.
3. Add the ground ginger, ground cumin, paprika, and cinnamon stick to the pan. Stir well to coat the meat.
4. Add the crushed stock cube to the boiling water to make up the stock.
5. Prepare the fruit and vegetables:
• juice one orange;
• cut one orange into quarters;
• peel and chop the potato into chunks;
• chop the aubergine into chunks.
6. Stir in the lamb stock, orange juice, orange quarters, potato and aubergine.
7. Cover and cook for approximately 2 hours until the lamb falls from the bone.
Serve with couscous and a carrot slaw of grated carrot, coriander, parsley and chilli.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?