4 medium sized tomatoes
2 x 15ml spoon balsamic vinegar
2 x 15 spoon extra virgin olive oil
Black pepper for seasoning
1 small garlic clove
2 slices rustic country bread from a loaf
2 x 5ml spoon fruit chutney
2 x 15ml spoon olive oil
Small handful fresh sage leaves
2 lean rump or sirloin steaks
Vegetable knife, chopping board, non-stick baking tray, measuring spoons, small bowl, bread knife, grill tray, table knife, non-stick frying pan, fish slice.
1. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6, 200°C.
2. Wash the tomatoes and cut in half and place on a non-stick baking tray.
3. Pour the balsamic vinegar and olive oil over the tomatoes.
4. Season with black pepper.
5. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
6. Peel and thinly slice the garlic.
7. Slice the Brie.
8. Pre-heat the grill to a medium heat.
9. Using a bread knife, cut 2 slices of bread and lightly grill for 1-2 minutes on each side.
10. Spread the toasted bread with fruit chutney.
11. Heat the oil in a frying pan for approximately 30 seconds. Add the garlic and a handful of sage leaves (reserving a few leaves for garnish) and cook gently for 1 minute.
12. Season the steaks with black pepper, and cook according to preference (based on a 2cm thick steak):
• rare: 2½ minutes on each side;
• medium: 4 minutes on each side;
• well done: 6 minutes on each side.
13. Arrange the steaks onto the bread slices. Place the Brie slices onto the steaks.
14. Place under a hot grill for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
15. Garnish with the remaining sage leaves and serve with the roasted balsamic tomatoes.
· Try this recipe with different chutneys, e.g. courgette and tomato, spiced apple, green tomato, mango, damson jelly or sweet chilli jam.
· Blue cheeses such as Stilton, Danish Blue, Roquefort, Gorgonzola or Stilton would also work well.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?