Food - a fact of life is delighted to be running a hands-on, interactive conference in collaboration with Harper Adams University, which will be held on Saturday 27 January 2024.
This 100% subsidised conference is aimed at trainee, new and experienced teachers and will provide curriculum support and teaching resources for food-related KS3 and GCSE courses.
There will be an opportunity to network with like-minded professionals, work with experienced Harper Adams University staff, talk to Student Ambassadors, and update your knowledge and skills to enhance teaching and learning of food and nutrition education.
Registration and refreshments will be from 9.00am, with a prompt start at 9.30am. The conference will finish at 2.00pm and brunch will be provided during the morning.
Overnight Accommodation – Friday 26 January 2024
Overnight accommodation (room only) is being offered by the University at a discounted rate of £48 per person. There are only 16 rooms available, so if you would like to stay the night before the conference, please make your reservation as soon as possible. Follow this link to reserve your room: Accommodation for Food a fact of life conference
Minibus transfer from Stafford or Telford stations
Whilst there is plenty of parking at the University, Food – a fact of life will be providing a free return minibus transfer from either Stafford or Telford stations. Please indicate on the registration form if you would like to reserve a seat on the minibus and from/to which station. Please note that minibus spaces are limited.
Places are limited to 100 teachers so don’t delay in booking your ticket!
Programme for the day
09:00 Registration and refreshments
09:30 Welcome and Harper Adams University schools engagement and curriculum support
09:45 Nutrition update Ewen Trafford, Nutrition Education Officer, British Nutrition Foundation
10:00 Workshop 1
10:45 Workshop 2
11:30 Brunch – take time to visit the exhibition space
12:00 Workshop 3
12.45 Workshop 4
13.30 10 things that you didn’t know that agriculture was doing to save the planet Alex Hardie, Business Development Manager, School of Sustainable Food and Farming, Harper Adams University
13.50 Food – a fact of life resources and support Claire Theobald, Education Services Manager, British Nutrition Foundation
14.00 Closing comments and final chance to visit the exhibition space
Teachers will rotate through the workshops in groups:
- Workshop 1: Farm walk (sturdy shoes needed)
- Workshop 2: Bakery technology
- Workshop 3: Dairy technology
- Workshop 4: Sensory evaluation
PPE will be provided, but please be prepared to tie up long hair and wear disposable gloves for the hands-on activities in the Regional Food Academy.
- Engage in a hands-on training event with your peers.
- Take part in exciting, interactive workshops that are relevant to your teaching.
- There will be opportunities to ask questions of BNF, Agriculture & Horticulture Development Board (AHDB), and Harper Adams staff and their Student Ambassadors, and network with colleagues.
- The conference is 100% subsidised – your commitment is your time.
- Signposts to free editable resources for use in the classroom.
- A certificate of attendance will be provided – useful as evidence for your professional development and performance management.
- The training event supports the Food teaching in secondary schools: a framework of knowledge and skills– backed by government and the Characteristics of good practice in teaching food and nutrition education in secondary schools.
Trainee, new and more experienced food and nutrition secondary teachers.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?