200g self-raising flour
75g butter or baking fat/block
75g mixed dried fruit
Sieve, mixing bowl, weighing scales, palette knife, small bowl, fork, 2 spoons, Non-stick baking tray (lined), cooling rack.
- Preheat oven to 220°C or gas mark 7.
- Sift the flour into the bowl.
- Rub the fat into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and dried fruit.
- Whisk the egg lightly in a small bowl.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour and carefully add the egg.
- Mix to form a soft, yet firm dough.
- Using 2 spoons, divide the dough into 8 ‘rocks’ and place on the baking tray.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- Use 50g coconut or cherries instead of dried fruit.
- Leave out the dried fruit, and when on the baking tray, add a small spoon of jam in the middle of each cake.
- Add a few drops of water or milk if the dough is too dry.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?