200g self-raising flour
75g butter or baking fat/block
75g mixed dried fruit
Sieve, mixing bowl, weighing scales, palette knife, small bowl, fork, 2 spoons, Non-stick baking tray (lined), cooling rack.
- Preheat oven to 220°C or gas mark 7.
- Sift the flour into the bowl.
- Rub the fat into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and dried fruit.
- Whisk the egg lightly in a small bowl.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour and carefully add the egg.
- Mix to form a soft, yet firm dough.
- Using 2 spoons, divide the dough into 8 ‘rocks’ and place on the baking tray.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- Use 50g coconut or cherries instead of dried fruit.
- Leave out the dried fruit, and when on the baking tray, add a small spoon of jam in the middle of each cake.
- Add a few drops of water or milk if the dough is too dry.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?