50g butter or soft baking spread
75g granulated sugar
1 small egg yolk
100g plain flour
Baking tray, weighing scales, mixing bowl, wooden spoon, fork, small bowl, sieve, flour dredger, oven gloves, cooling rack.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC or gas mark 4
- Line or line a baking tray.
- Beat the fat and sugar in a bowl with a wooden spoon until creamy.
- Whisk the egg yolk in a small bowl using a fork.
- Add the egg, a little at a time.
- Sift the flour into the bowl.
- Mix well to form a firm dough.
- Shape into biscuits on a floured surface.
- Place the biscuits on to a greased baking tray and bake for 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- After baking, place on a cooking rack.
- Do not crowd the biscuits on the baking tray, as they may spread while in the oven.
- Try adding optional ingredients after the flour, for example 25g dried apricots, 25g cherries or 25g choc-chips.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?