170g plain flour
170g self-raising wholemeal flour
1 x 15ml spoon of lemon juice
1 x 5ml spoon bicarbonate of soda
Weighing scales, sieve, large bowl, measuring spoon, measuring jug, fork, flour dredger, baking tray, knife, oven gloves, cooling rack.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or gas mark 6.
- Stir the lemon juice into the milk to make it curdle.
- Sift both flours, and the bicarbonate of soda, into the large bowl. Tip in the bran from the sieve.
- Add the milk and mix everything together quickly to form a soft dough.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly for a few moments to form a round, flattened ball.
- Place the dough onto a floured baking tray and score a cross on top of the dough.
- Carefully, place the bread into the hot oven, wearing oven gloves.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Wearing oven gloves, remove the bread from the oven, and place onto a cooling rack.
- Eat whilst the bread is still warm, perhaps with soup.
- Why not try adding dried fruit or seeds?
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?