30g butter or reduced fat spread
340g can sweetcorn
180g plain flour
2 x 5ml spoons baking powder
½ x 5ml spoon salt
½ x 5ml spoon paprika
900g (2lb) loaf tin or muffin tray, greaseproof paper or muffin cases, small saucepan or microwaveable bowl, small bowl, fork, sieve/colander, blender/food processor, large bowl, mixing spoon.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or Gas mark 4. Grease the loaf tin, or line with greaseproof paper, or place 8 muffin cases in a muffin tray.
- Prepare the ingredients:
- melt the butter or spread;
- crack eggs and lightly beat with a fork;
- drain the canned sweetcorn.
- Place half the corn and milk in a blender or food processor and blitz until a coarse mixture is formed.
- Add the remaining corn and pulse the mixture 1 or 2 more times to leave most of the corn kernels whole.
- Place flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, salt and paprika into the mixing bowl and mix together.
- Add the sweetcorn mix, melted butter/spread and beaten eggs to the flour mix and combine until a thick mixture is formed.
- Place the mixture in the loaf tin or divide evenly between the muffin cases.
- Bake the loaf for 30-35 minutes or the muffins for 20-25 minutes.
- Polenta can be used as an alternative to cornmeal.
- The sweetcorn can be mashed with a fork or a potato masher, if a blender/food processor isn’t available.
- Try adding different spices to the bread to enhance the flavour of the corn.
- Let your bread cool slightly before slicing it, as this helps the slices hold together better.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?