30g butter or reduced fat spread
340g can sweetcorn
180g plain flour
2 x 5ml spoons baking powder
½ x 5ml spoon salt
½ x 5ml spoon paprika
900g (2lb) loaf tin or muffin tray, greaseproof paper or muffin cases, small saucepan or microwaveable bowl, small bowl, fork, sieve/colander, blender/food processor, large bowl, mixing spoon.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or Gas mark 4. Grease the loaf tin, or line with greaseproof paper, or place 8 muffin cases in a muffin tray.
- Prepare the ingredients:
- melt the butter or spread;
- crack eggs and lightly beat with a fork;
- drain the canned sweetcorn.
- Place half the corn and milk in a blender or food processor and blitz until a coarse mixture is formed.
- Add the remaining corn and pulse the mixture 1 or 2 more times to leave most of the corn kernels whole.
- Place flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, salt and paprika into the mixing bowl and mix together.
- Add the sweetcorn mix, melted butter/spread and beaten eggs to the flour mix and combine until a thick mixture is formed.
- Place the mixture in the loaf tin or divide evenly between the muffin cases.
- Bake the loaf for 30-35 minutes or the muffins for 20-25 minutes.
- Polenta can be used as an alternative to cornmeal.
- The sweetcorn can be mashed with a fork or a potato masher, if a blender/food processor isn’t available.
- Try adding different spices to the bread to enhance the flavour of the corn.
- Let your bread cool slightly before slicing it, as this helps the slices hold together better.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?