2 garlic cloves
½ red pepper
1 sweet potato
1 reduced salt vegetable stock cube
50g ready to eat dried apricots
1 x 15ml spoon oil
1 x 5ml spoon paprika
1 x 5ml spoon fennel seeds
1 x 5ml spoon coriander seeds
Fresh black pepper – seasoning
100ml boiling water
25g fresh coriander - garnish
Chopping board, vegetable knife, measuring jug, measuring spoons, large frying/sauté pan, mixing spoon, heatproof bowl, fork.
- Prepare the ingredients:
-peel and chop the onion;
-peel and dice the carrot;
-peel and finely chop the garlic;
-deseed and dice the pepper;
-peel and evenly chop the sweet potato;
-cut the dried apricots into quarters;
-cut the tomato into quarters;
-roughly chop the coriander (if using).
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and garlic and fry for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the paprika, fennel and coriander seeds, red pepper and sweet potato.
- Stir, and cook for 2 minutes over a high heat.
- Make 500ml of vegetable stock.
- Stir in the stock, add the apricots and tomato and mix. Add black pepper to season. Simmer for 15 mins, or until the sweet potato is tender and cooked, adding more boiling water if need be.
- Place the couscous in a heatproof bowl and pour over 100ml boiling water.
- Cover and leave to absorb the water for around 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork to separate the grains.
- Serve the tagine with the couscous, garnishing with fresh coriander (if using).
- Serve the tagine with quinoa as an alternative to couscous. Garnish with chopped coriander and mint and add some pomegranate seeds for colour and texture.
- Try and use seasonal vegetables such as courgettes, parsnips or pumpkin cut into chunks as alternatives. How many of your 5 A Day can you include?
This recipe was kindly donated by Co-op Group Limited.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?