1cm piece fresh ginger
1 small onion
1 small can pineapple chunks in juice
200g turkey stir-fry breast strips
1 x 5ml spoon mild chilli powder
1 x 5ml spoon mild curry powder
400ml light coconut milk
Chopping board, vegetable knife, grater, sieve, red board, frying pan or wok, mixing spoon, measuring spoons, measuring jug.
- Prepare the ingredients:
- peel and grate the ginger;
- peel and finely dice the onion;
- drain the pineapple;
- cut the turkey into chunks, thoroughly washing and drying hands after touching the raw meat.
- Spray the frying pan or work with oil and add the onion, ginger, chilli powder and curry powder. Stir-fry gently for 3 minutes.
- Add the turkey and fry for 5 minutes, until browned.
- Stir in the coconut milk and the pineapple.
- Simmer for 20 minutes until the sauce is reduced, and the turkey cooked with no pink meat remaining.
- Serve with boiled rice.
- Use peeled and diced mango as an alternative to pineapple.
- For a vegetarian option use firm tofu cut into cubes or canned, drained chickpeas reducing the cooking time as necessary.
- Serve with brown rice for added fibre.
This recipe was adapted from a recipe for Caribbean turkey curry, which was kindly donated by Tesco plc.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?