1 stick celery
1 small or ½ large carrot
½ small green chilli
1 red pepper
3cm piece root ginger
400g can black beans
1 x 15ml spoon fresh coriander
1½ x 15ml spoons jerk seasoning
1 x 5ml spoon dried thyme
1 reduced salt vegetable stock cube
250ml boiling water
1 small can (227g) chopped tomatoes
Chopping board, vegetable knife, vegetable peeler, grater, sieve/colander, large saucepan, mixing spoon, measuring spoon.
- Prepare the ingredients:
- peel and chop the onion;
- chop the celery;
- peel and slice the carrot;
- deseed and finely chop the chilli;
- deseed and slice the red pepper;
- peel and grate the ginger;
- drain and rinse the beans;
- peel the potatoes and cut into chunks;
- chop the coriander.
- Add spray oil to a large saucepan and heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot and chilli and cook for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the jerk seasoning, potatoes, thyme, ginger and red peppers and stir well.
- Continue frying for a further 2 minutes.
- Crumble the stock cube into the pan and add 250ml boiling water. Stir well.
- Add the beans and canned tomatoes. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked.
- Season with black pepper.
- Just before serving stir in the coriander.
- Make your own jerk seasoning using a blend of ground cinnamon, black peppercorns, dried thyme, allspice berries, cayenne pepper and nutmeg. Toast the whole spices, add the ground spices and herbs and crush to a fine powder.
- When preparing chilli peppers, do not to touch the eyes or similar areas that can be affected by the capsaicin (an irritant) that rubs off on hands. Wash your hands immediately after handling chilli peppers.
- To prepare remove the stem and slice the chilli pepper in half. With a teaspoon, carefully remove the ribs and seeds then slice or dice as needed.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?