1 small onion
½ red onion
1 garlic clove
30g green pitted olives (optional)
250g lean beef mince
1 x 15ml spoon tomato purée
½ x 5ml spoon oregano
½ x 5ml spoon paprika
¼ x 5ml spoon cumin
Chopping board, vegetable knife, garlic press, large saucepan with lid, mixing spoons, measuring spoons.
- Prepare the ingredients:
- peel and finely dice the onion;
- deseed and finely dice the pepper;
- peel and finely chop or crush the garlic;
- halve the olives, if using;
- roughly chop the parsley, if using.
- Add the mince, onion, pepper and garlic to the saucepan and gently fry until the mince is browned.
- Add the pasatta, tomato puree, raisins, oregano, paprika, cumin to the pan. Stir well. Add the olives if using.
- Season with black pepper.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the sauce is reduced. Stir occasionally.
- Serve with boiled rice or as a filling for tacos, empanadas or stuffed peppers.
- All purpose or sazon seasoning can be used as an alternative to the individual spices.
- For a vegetarian or vegan dish, replace the beef mince with a plant-based mince. There is usually no need to brown a plant-based mince, so add at stage 3.
- Serve with sliced plantain fried in a little spray oil.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?