1.136 litres (2 pints) fresh, full fat milk
225g kefir, buttermilk or natural yogurt
Measuring jug, large saucepan, slotted spoon, sieve, muslin/clean dish cloth, bowl for draining.
- Pour the milk into a large saucepan and heat for a few minutes over a medium heat.
- When it is warm, reduce the heat to low.
- Add the kefir, buttermilk or yogurt and mix gently.
- Heat until you notice the separating whey.
- Remove the curds with a slotted spoon and place in a sieve lined with muslin, cheesecloth or a clean dish cloth.
- Leave to drain any remaining whey.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- Use your homemade cottage cheese to make Gzik.
- Use whole or semi skimmed milk not UHT.
- Tofu can be used to make dairy-free or vegan ‘cottage cheese’. Mix 100g light or vegan mayonnaise with 1 x 15ml water, 1 x 15ml white miso paste and 3/8 x 5ml spoon salt together until smooth. Add the mayonnaise mixture to the tofu in a bowl and thoroughly mash it together. It is ready when you have small tofu chunks and a cottage cheese like appearance.
Note: If using buttermilk, it will take longer than kefir or natural yogurt to form curds and whey. The resulting cottage cheese will also be softer in texture.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?