2 red peppers
1 large onion
4 garlic cloves
50g spinach leaves or kale
2 x 15ml spoons oil
1 x 5ml spoon cumin
2 x 5ml spoons (heaped) paprika
½ x 5ml spoon chilli powder
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
1 x 400g can black beans
Optional - garnish
Chopping board, vegetable knife, garlic press, large sauté/frying pan, mixing spoon, measuring spoons, can opener, sieve/colander.
- Prepare the ingredients:
- deseed and dice the red peppers;
- peel and dice the onion;
- peel and finely chop or crush the garlic;
- wash and roughly chop the spinach or kale;
- chop the coriander.
- In a large frying pan heat the oil.
- Add the diced peppers and onion and cook for 5-7 mins until softened.
- Add the chopped garlic, cumin, paprika and chilli powder to the pan. Cook for 3 minutes stirring.
- Drain and rinse the black beans. Add the chopped tomatoes and black beans to the pan and mix.
- Simmer uncovered on a medium heat for 7-10 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach leaves or kale.
- Make 6 small wells in the sauce evenly spaced around the pan. Crack 1 egg into each of the wells.
- Cover the pan and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Try using different types of beans such as red kidney or borlotti.
- Use canned tomatoes with herbs or chilli for extra flavour.
- Have the recipe for a smaller portion.
This recipe was kindly donated by Asda Stores Limited.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?