1 large red onion
1 red pepper
Fresh black pepper
200g canned chopped tomatoes
Small bunch fresh basil – garnish
Chopping board, vegetable knife, large frying pan and lid/tin foil, mixing spoon.
- Prepare the ingredients:
- peel and finely slice the onions;
- deseed and finely cut the peppers into 1cm slices;
- chop the fresh basil, if using.
- Spray the frying pan with oil. Add the onions and peppers.
- Gently fry for 10-12 minutes until softened and slightly caramelised. Season with black pepper.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes adding a little water if necessary to avoid the sauce becoming too dry.
- When the peppers and onions are soft, make two small wells for the eggs. Crack the eggs into the wells and cook on a gentle heat for 6-8 minutes, until the eggs are cooked to your liking. If necessary, place a lid on the pan to help cook and set the eggs, or cover with tin foil.
- Garnish with the chopped basil, if using.
- Choose canned tomatoes with added garlic, herbs or chilli for extra flavour.
- Try substituting the pepper with other vegetables such as courgettes, aubergine, or fennel. For a breakfast or brunch dish, baked beans work well!
This recipe was adapted from a recipe for Middle Eastern style baked eggs, kindly donated by Marks and Spencer.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?