1 large red onion
1 red pepper
Fresh black pepper
200g canned chopped tomatoes
Small bunch fresh basil – garnish
Chopping board, vegetable knife, large frying pan and lid/tin foil, mixing spoon.
- Prepare the ingredients:
- peel and finely slice the onions;
- deseed and finely cut the peppers into 1cm slices;
- chop the fresh basil, if using.
- Spray the frying pan with oil. Add the onions and peppers.
- Gently fry for 10-12 minutes until softened and slightly caramelised. Season with black pepper.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes adding a little water if necessary to avoid the sauce becoming too dry.
- When the peppers and onions are soft, make two small wells for the eggs. Crack the eggs into the wells and cook on a gentle heat for 6-8 minutes, until the eggs are cooked to your liking. If necessary, place a lid on the pan to help cook and set the eggs, or cover with tin foil.
- Garnish with the chopped basil, if using.
- Choose canned tomatoes with added garlic, herbs or chilli for extra flavour.
- Try substituting the pepper with other vegetables such as courgettes, aubergine, or fennel. For a breakfast or brunch dish, baked beans work well!
This recipe was adapted from a recipe for Middle Eastern style baked eggs, kindly donated by Marks and Spencer.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?