200g strong wholemeal bread flour
250g strong white bread flour
25g oats + 1 x 15ml spoon
7g sachet dried yeast
1 x 5ml spoon salt
1 x 15ml spoon clear honey
2 x 15ml spoon vegetable oil
Large mixing bowl, spoon, 2 x bowls, 1kg loaf tin, cooling rack.
- Mix the flours, oatmeal, 25g oats, salt and yeast in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix 300ml warm water with the honey and oil and stir into the flour to form a dough.
- Knead on a floured surface for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl, cover and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes - 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200C, Gas Mark 6. Grease a 1kg loaf tin.
- Knock the dough back and mould into a rough loaf shape to drop into the prepared tin. Cover and leave for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Sprinkle with the remaining oats and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden. Remove from the tin and cool.
Simply roll into a large round shape and place straight on a greased baking tray and bake instead of using a loaf tin. The loaf will keep for 1-2 days in an airtight container.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?