600g strong wholemeal bread flour
1 x 5ml spoon salt
7g sachet dried yeast
400ml tepid water
1 x 15ml spoon milk
1 x 15ml spoon jumbo porridge oats
Bowl, jug, baking tray, pastry brush.
- Mix the flour, salt and yeast in a bowl.
- Stir in 400ml tepid water to form a dough.
- Knead on a floured surface for 10 minutes until smooth.
- Remove a quarter of the dough and roll into a ball.
- Roll the large piece of dough into a ball and place on a greased baking tray, top this will the smaller ball.
- Brush with a little milk and sprinkle over the oats.
- Allow to prove for 30-40 minutes until double in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200⁰C, Gas Mark 6.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and hollow when the base is tapped.
Divide the dough into 8 to make individual rolls and reduce the cooking time to 20-25 minutes until golden.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?