100g plain flour
½ x 5ml spoon salt
1 x 15ml spoon vegetable oil or corn oil
125–150ml warm water
40–50g butter (or ghee)
Sieve, measuring scales, measuring spoons, bread board, rolling pin, large mixing bowl, cling film, non-stick frying pan, tablespoon, palette knife, wooden spoon, pastry brush.
- Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Make a well and pour in the oil and half the water.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon and continue adding enough water until you have a firm, soft but not too sticky dough.
- Knead the dough for 3–4 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal balls.
- Lightly flour a surface and roll each dough ball into a thin circle.
- Gently melt the butter/ghee in a saucepan or the microwave.
- Spread each chapatti with a light spreading of ghee/melted butter.
- Fold the chapatti into quarters to enclose the ghee/butter mixture.
- Re-roll into a flat round pizza shape.
- Fry in a dry pan for 3–4 minutes on each side until lightly coloured, brushing a little of the ghee/butter mixture on each side during cooking.
- Remove from the pan and leave to cool.
- Add chopped nuts or grated coconut to the dough before adding the liquid.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?