175g self-raising flour
75g soft brown sugar
½x 5ml spoon ground ginger
½x 5ml spoon ground cinnamon
5ml spoon ground mixed spice
225g clear honey
4x15ml spoon olive oil
5ml spoon bicarbonate of soda
75ml orange juice
Deep 22–25cm diameter cake tin, greaseproof paper, weighing scales, small bowl, fork, sieve, mixing bowl, wooden spoon, measuring jug, measuring spoons, oven gloves, cooling rack.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Grease and line the cake tin and put to one side.
- Beat the eggs with the honey and oil in a small bowl.
- Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar and spice.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and add the honey, oil and eggs.
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda into the orange juice and add it to the mixture.
- Mix well with the wooden spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the lined tin. Make sure it is only about half way up the tin, as it will need plenty of room to rise.
- Using oven gloves, place the tin in the oven and bake for 50–55 minutes.
- After baking, cool the cake in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire cooling rack.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?