170g/6oz soft spread or butter
170g/6oz caster sugar
200g/7oz self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 small eggs or 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 lemons, to make zest and 1 dessert spoon lemon juice
2 dessert spoon elderflower cordial
2 dessert spoon lemon curd
50g icing sugar
Two 20cm/8in sandwich tins, measuring scales, mixer, zester, measuring spoons, large mixing bowl, small mixing bowl, fork, cooling tray
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5
- Grease cake tins, then dust with a sprinkling of caster sugar.
- Using a mixer, beat the butter, caster sugar, flour, baking powder and lightly beaten eggs until light, white and creamy.
- Add the finely grated zest of 2 lemons and 1dsp of lemon juice. Be careful not to add any extra lemon juice or this will cause the cake to crack. If the mixture is a little stiff, add water. No more than 1dsp otherwise the cake will become hard.
- Turn the mixture into the two sandwich tins and bake for 25-30 minutes. When ready the cake should be golden brown and have shrunk away from the edges.
- Cool in the tins for 2-3 minutes before turning out on to a cooling tray.
- Mix together the elderflower cordial and lemon curd and use to sandwich this cake together
- Serve dusted with icing sugar
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?