150g dark syrup
75g butter or soft baking spread
75g soft brown sugar
175g medium oatmeal
75g self-raising flour
1.5 x 15ml spoons ground ginger
1 small egg
1 x 10ml spoon milk
Measuring scales, 15cm/6 inch square cake tin, saucepan, measuring spoons, wooden spoon, sieve, chopping board, knife, large mixing bowl, small mixing bowl, fork, measuring jug, cooling tray.
- Pre-heat oven to 140°C or gas mark 1.
- Lightly grease or line the cake tin.
- Place the syrup, fat and sugar into a saucepan and gently heat until the fat has melted. Do not boil.
- Sift the flour into the mixing bowl and add the oatmeal and ginger.
- Chop the dates and add to the bowl with the sultanas.
- Gradually stir in the warmed syrup mixture until everything is thoroughly blended.
- Beat the egg and add along with the milk.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the centre of the oven for about 1 hour or until the centre feels springy to the touch.
- Cool for 5 minutes before turning out.
- This can be cooked in smaller tins or fairy cake tins to reduce cooking time.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?