110g/4oz caster sugar
100g/3½oz plain flour
½ tsp vanilla essence
3-4 peach halves/slices
½ pint whipping cream or thick yoghurt
50g icing sugar
25cm/10 inch round loose-bottomed cake tin, measuring scales, mixing bowl, wooden spoon, sieve, metal spoon, cooling tray.
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5
- Grease cake tin and dust with a little icing sugar.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together in a bowl for 8-10 minutes until the mixture is light and creamy and is capable of holding its shape.
- Mix the flour and cornflour and then gradually sieve it into the bowl – about one third at a time - folding gently after each addition.
- Now add the vanilla essence and mix.
- Transfer the mixture to the cake tin, level out and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked. When the sponge is cooked remove from the tin and place on a cooling tray. Halve the cake lengthways to make a sandwich.
- When the cake is cool decorate with peach slices and cream or yoghurt.
- Sprinkle or dust with icing sugar.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?