200g can tuna fish (in water)
150g can sweetcorn (or frozen)
75g cheddar cheese
25g butter or spread
25g plain flour
250ml semi-skimmed milk
250g pasta shapes
2 saucepans, sieve or colander, baking dish, can opener, oven gloves, wooden spoon, measuring jug
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
2. Prepare the ingredients:
- open the can of tuna and drain;
- open the can of sweetcorn (if using) and drain;
- cut the tomato into chunks;
- grate the cheese.
3. Melt the butter or spread in a saucepan. Add the flour and stir into a paste.
4. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly. The sauce will become thick.
5. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 2 minutes. Add seasoning, if desired.
6. Boil the pasta for 10 minutes until tender, and drain.
7. Add the cooked pasta, tuna and vegetables to the sauce and stir the mixture together.
8. Pour the pasta mixture into a baking dish. Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
9. Using oven gloves, place in the oven for 20 minutes. Bake until golden brown.
You could add mixed herbs or some of the cheese to the sauce and/or garnish with extra tomato slices and chopped parsley.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?