2-3 large potatoes (300g)
½ green cabbage
1x15ml spoon flour
Black pepper, to taste
Chopping board, vegetable peeler, knife, saucepans, colander, potato masher, large metal spoon, frying pan, fish slice, plate.
- Peel and dice the potatoes. Place in a saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer until tender.
- Remove the stalk of the cabbage and shred finely. Place cabbage into a saucepan of boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Drain in colander.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander. Pour the potatoes back into the saucepan and mash.
- Mix the mashed potatoes and cabbage together. Add black pepper to taste.
- Using a large metal spoon, make ‘rounds’ of bubble and squeak.
- Coat in the flour.
- Fry in the oil for 5-6 minutes on each side, until crisp and golden brown.
- Use left-over potatoes and cabbage/Brussel sprouts.
- Add fresh herbs, chopped onion or cooked leeks for a special treat.
- They could be oven baked instead of fried to make them healthier.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?