2-3 large potatoes (300g)
½ green cabbage
1x15ml spoon flour
Black pepper, to taste
Chopping board, vegetable peeler, knife, saucepans, colander, potato masher, large metal spoon, frying pan, fish slice, plate.
- Peel and dice the potatoes. Place in a saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer until tender.
- Remove the stalk of the cabbage and shred finely. Place cabbage into a saucepan of boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Drain in colander.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander. Pour the potatoes back into the saucepan and mash.
- Mix the mashed potatoes and cabbage together. Add black pepper to taste.
- Using a large metal spoon, make ‘rounds’ of bubble and squeak.
- Coat in the flour.
- Fry in the oil for 5-6 minutes on each side, until crisp and golden brown.
- Use left-over potatoes and cabbage/Brussel sprouts.
- Add fresh herbs, chopped onion or cooked leeks for a special treat.
- They could be oven baked instead of fried to make them healthier.