1 x chicken breast (or 3-4 thighs) or 100g tofu
½ red chilli
1 clove of garlic
1cm fresh ginger (optional)
½ red onion
1/3 green pepper
1/3 yellow pepper
1x10ml spoon reduced salt soy sauce
Chopping board, knife, garlic press, wok/saucepan, measuring spoon.
1. If using chicken, cut into thin strips. Place in the fridge, covered, until needed.
2. Using a clean chopping board and knife, prepare the vegetables:
- deseed and finely slice the chilli;
- peel and crush the garlic;
- peel and finely chop the ginger;
- peel and finely slice the onion
- deseed and finely slice the green and yellow peppers
- wash or wipe the mushrooms and slice.
3. Heat the oil in the wok/saucepan.
4. Add the onion, garlic, chilli and ginger. Allow to cook for 1 minute.
5. Add the chicken or tofu and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes.
6. If using chicken, check that it is cooked through and no pink remains.
7. Add the remaining vegetables and soy sauce and continue to cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Try different vegetables - leeks, courgettes and carrots all work well.
- Other types of meat could be used, e.g. thin strips of beef or turkey.
- Mix in ready cooked noodles or rice for a quick main meal.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?