2x15ml spoons golden syrup
50g butter or soft spread
50g dried fruit, e.g. sliced apricots
Baking tray, measuring spoons, saucepan, wooden spoon.
- Preheat oven to 200C or gas mark 6.
- Grease a shallow baking tin and line with greaseproof paper.
- Place the syrup, fat and sugar into a saucepan and gently heat until the spread has melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the oats.
- Pour ½ the mixture into the baking tin.
- Arrange the dried fruit over the mixture.
- Pour the remaining mixture over the fruit and pat down.
- Bake for 20 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and cut into portions in the baking tray while hot.
- Vary the type of dried fruit, e.g. sultanas, figs, mixed fruit.
- Add 1x5ml spoon cinnamon or mixed spice to the oat mixture.
- Try using a little less sugar (or replace some with sweetener) and a little more dried fruit in the flapjacks to make them healthier.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?