1 small red onion
1cm piece fresh root ginger
1 red chilli
225g lean beef mince
1 x 5ml Worcestershire sauce
Knife, chopping board, weighing scales, large bowl, measuring spoon, plate, cling film, fish slice, tongs, oven gloves.
- Prepare the ingredients:
- peel and finely chop the onion;
- peel and finely chop the ginger;
- deseed and chop the chilli.
- Place the beef mince, onion, ginger, chilli and Worcestershire sauce in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the ingredients together.
- Divide the mixture into 2 evenly-sized portions with damp hands.
- Shape each portion into a round and gently flatten to a burger shape.
- Place the burgers on a clean plate, cover and chill in the refrigerator for up to 30 minutes, if time permits.
- Preheat the grill or prepare the barbeque.
- Cook the burgers for 6-8 minutes on each side, or until cooked through and any meat juices run clear.
- If preferred replace the ginger with 1-2 x 15ml curry powder and the Worcestershire sauce with mango chutney.
- To prevent the burgers breaking up during cooking on the barbecue, place on a sheet of aluminium foil over the barbecue grill.
- Serve the burgers in rolls garnished with salad leaves, finely shredded chilli strips and a spoonful of your favourite prepared relishes and potato wedges.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?