100g spring onions
3 x 15ml spoon basil leaves
250g plain flour
1 x 15ml spoon baking powder
1 medium egg
230ml semi-skimmed milk
Muffin tray, muffin cases, weighing scales, knife, chopping board, sieve, large mixing bowl, measuring spoons, mixing spoon, small mixing bowl, fork, measuring jug, metal spoon, cooling rack.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C or Gas Mark 4.
2. Place the muffin cases into the muffin tin.
3. Prepare the ingredients:
• dice the ham into small pieces;
• chop the spring onions into small pieces;
• tear or roughly chop the basil.
4. Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl.
5. Add the baking powder, ham, onion and basil.
6. Beat the egg in a small bowl with a fork.
7. Add the milk, oil and beaten egg to the flour mixture.
8. Stir the mixture until all the ingredients are just combined.
9. Divide the mixture evenly between the 12 muffin cases.
10. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the muffins are risen and spring back when touched in the middle.
11. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool.
- Serve hot or cold for breakfast, lunch or a snack.
- Add 75g grated reduced fat mature Cheddar cheese.
- Try adding cooked bacon for a slightly different flavour.
- Replace half the flour with wholemeal flour to increase the fibre content.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?