2 x 15ml spoon fresh mint
225g lean lamb mince
2 x 15ml spoon instant bulgur wheat
1 x 5ml spoon cumin
4 x 15ml water
12 sheets of filo pastry
2 x 15ml oil
Baking tray, knife, chopping board, non-stick frying pan, mixing spoon, measuring spoon, small bowl, pastry brush, oven gloves.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C or Gas mark 4.
2. Grease or line the baking tray.
3. Prepare the ingredients:
· peel and chop the onion;
· chop the mint.
4. Dry-fry the lamb mince and onion until brown.
5. Stir in the bulgur wheat, cumin and water and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Stir in the mint and black pepper and set aside to cool.
7. Cut the filo pastry into rectangles, approximately 16 x 13 cm.
8. Place two rectangular sheets together and brush edges with oil.
9. Place two teaspoons of the filling into the middle of the pastry rectangle.
10. Roll the filo pastry into a sausage shape and pinch the pastry at each end to create the frilly ends of the cracker.
11. Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling.
12. Place the crackers on a baking tray and lightly brush with oil.
13. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
· Try a different filling combination using pork or beef mince.
· Try adding small pieces of vegetables, such as grated carrot or courgette.
· These can be served hot or cold, as a starter or a snack.
· Cover unused sheets of filo pastry with cling film to prevent the pastry from drying out.
· Try making smaller crackers for canapés or a larger cracker for a buffet.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?