250g savoy cabbage
450g lean minced lamb
1 x 15ml spoon flour
1 x 15ml spoon tomato purée
1 x 15ml spoon Worcestershire sauce
1 lamb stock cube
3 x 15ml milk
Chopping board, vegetable knife, weighing scales, non-stick frying pan, wooden spoon, kettle, measuring spoons, measuring jug, saucepan, colander, potato masher, ovenproof dish, metal spoon, oven gloves.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C or Gas Mark 4.
2. Prepare the vegetables:
• peel and finely chop the onion;
• peel and dice the carrots;
• peel and cut the potatoes into large chunks;
• peel and chop the parsnips;
• shred the cabbage.
3. Dry fry the minced lamb, onion and carrots until the mince is browned.
4. Stir in the flour, tomato purée and Worcestershire sauce.
5. Make up the stock.
6. Add the stock to the meat mixture and bring to the boil.
7. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes, until the carrots are just soft.
8. Place the potatoes and parsnips in a large saucepan, cover with water.
9. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, until soft.
10. During the last 8-10 minutes add the savoy cabbage.
11. When cooked, drain and mash with the milk and a few twists of black pepper.
12. Place the mince into an ovenproof dish and spoon the mash over the top.
13. Cook in the oven for 25-30minutes, until golden brown.
• Try adding different seasonable vegetables to the mince or the topping.
• This can be served with a salad or cooked vegetables.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?