400g of smooth potatoes, such as Desiree
2 medium onions
125ml chicken or vegetable stock
25g butter or soft spread
Vegetable knife, chopping board, peeler, mixing bowl, mixing spoon, roasting tin, pastry brush, flat bottomed pan.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C.
- Cut the potatoes into 2mm slices with a vegetable knife or on a mandolin. Set aside enough slices to cover the top.
- Peel, halve and finely slice the onions.
- Mix the onions and potatoes and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Place in a buttered roasting tin and cover with the stock.
- Neatly arrange the remaining potatoes by neatly overlapping the slices.
- Brush with oil or dab with butter/spread.
- Place in oven for 20 minutes until lightly coloured.
- Reduce the heat and allow to cook steadily. Press the potatoes down firmly, from time to time, using a clean flat-bottomed pan.
- Cook for approximately 1.5 hours in total, until all of the stock has cooked into the potato.
- Serve sprinkled with rosemary leaves.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?