Salad potatoes such as Charlotte, or smooth potatoes such as Desiree
Pepper for seasoning
Oil for greasing paper
Peeler, vegetable knife, chopping board, saucepan, colander, greaseproof paper, fish slice.
- Preheat the oven to 230-250°C.
- Choose small, even sized potatoes.
- Wash, peel and rewash the potatoes.
- Turn into 8-sided barrel shapes, about 5cm long and 2.5cm across in the centre, reducing to 1.5cm at each end.
- Prepare enough barrels for 2-3 per person and place in a saucepan of boiling water for 2-3 minutes.
- Refresh in cold water immediately and drain using a colander.
- Place the potatoes on lightly oiled greaseproof paper or a non-stick tray, season lightly with pepper and place in the oven for about 1 hour.
- Turn the potatoes after about half an hour and cook till golden brown.
- Use spray oil for greasing the paper.
- Why not try spray oil flavoured with garlic or herbs.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?