600g smooth potatoes such as Desiree
25g butter or soft spread
50g plain flour
100g fresh breadcrumbs
Pepper for seasoning
Peeler, vegetable knife, chopping board, saucepan x 2, colander, potato ricer, mouli or sieve, mixing spoon, palette knife, deep fat fryer, kitchen paper.
1. Prepare a ‘Duchess’ mixture:
- wash, peel and rewash potatoes and cut to an even size;
- add potatoes to a pan of cold water, bring to the boil and cook;
- drain, cover and return the potatoes to the pan, over a low heat, to dry out;
- pass the potatoes through a potato ricer, mouli or sieve;
- place the potatoes in a clean pan;
- crack one egg and separate;
- add the egg yolk to the potatoes and stir vigorously with a mixing spoon;
- mix in the fat and season.
2. Mould the mixture into cylinder shapes, approximately 5cm x 2cm.
3. Crack the remaining egg and beat with a fork.
4. Pass the potato shapes through flour, egg wash and breadcrumbs.
5. Reshape with a palette knife and leave to chill.
6. Deep fry in hot oil (185°C) in a frying basket.
7. When the potatoes are a golden colour, drain well on kitchen paper and serve.
- Ensure that the fat in the fryer is clean.
- Use long tongs or a frying basket to add or remove food.
- Carefully add food to avoid splashing.
- Do not overfill the fryer. Overfilling causes splashing and bubbling over of hot food.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?