500g of smooth potatoes such as Desiree
200ml double cream
1 garlic glove
50g gruyere cheese
Pepper for seasoning
Butter for greasing dish
Vegetable knife, chopping board, large bowl, garlic crusher, large saucepan, oven-proof dish, grater.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Thinly slice potatoes and place the slices in a bowl of cold water to prevent them from browning.
- Refresh by rinsing in cold water and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Peel and crush the garlic.
- Place the cream, milk and crushed garlic in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Add the potatoes and simmer for 10 minutes until just tender and season well.
- Transfer to a buttered dish.
- Grate the cheese and sprinkle over the potatoes.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden. If desired, increase the oven temperature during the last 5-10 minutes of cooking to brown.
- Try a different variety of cheeses for the topping, e.g. Emmental, Double Gloucester or Red Leicester.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?