500g of smooth potatoes such as Desiree
200ml double cream
1 garlic glove
50g gruyere cheese
Pepper for seasoning
Butter for greasing dish
Vegetable knife, chopping board, large bowl, garlic crusher, large saucepan, oven-proof dish, grater.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Thinly slice potatoes and place the slices in a bowl of cold water to prevent them from browning.
- Refresh by rinsing in cold water and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Peel and crush the garlic.
- Place the cream, milk and crushed garlic in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Add the potatoes and simmer for 10 minutes until just tender and season well.
- Transfer to a buttered dish.
- Grate the cheese and sprinkle over the potatoes.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden. If desired, increase the oven temperature during the last 5-10 minutes of cooking to brown.
- Try a different variety of cheeses for the topping, e.g. Emmental, Double Gloucester or Red Leicester.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?