1kg of fluffy potatoes such as Maris Piper and King Edward
50g butter or soft spread
A little flour for coating
Pepper for seasoning
Oil for frying
Vegetable knife, chopping board, baking tray, spoon, large mixing bowl, fork, palette knife, frying pan.
- Preheat the oven to 230-250°C.
- Select good-sized potatoes (1 per portion), scrub well and make a 2mm deep incision round the potato.
- Place the potatoes on a baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for around 1 hour, turning after 30 minutes.
- Test by holding the potato in a clean cloth and squeezing gently. They are ready when they feel soft.
- When cool, cut in half and scoop out the centre.
- Place in a bowl with the fat and a little pepper.
- Mash and mix as lightly as possible with a fork.
- Using a little flour mould into a roll and then divide into pieces.
- Mould into 2cm round cakes. Quadrille with the back of a palette knife and flour lightly.
- Shallow fry on both sides and serve.
- Use spray oil for frying.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?