1kg of salad potatoes, such as Charlotte
75g butter or soft spread
Freshly ground pepper
Vegetable knife, chopping board, skillet or heavy based baking tin, large plate, fish slice.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Slice peeled, washed potatoes into rounds as thin as possible (1mm if using a mandolin).
- Grease a 15cm diameter skillet or heavy based baking tin and arrange a thin layer of potatoes over the base – overlapping slices.
- Drizzle a little melted butter or spread over the slices and season with pepper.
- Continue to layer potatoes, drizzle butter or spread and season until you have used all the potatoes.
- Drizzle over the remaining butter or spread and place in the preheated oven.
- Cook for 40-50 minutes or until very tender and the potatoes are golden on the bottom and crisp on the outside.
- Press down the potato slices 3 or 4 times during cooking to form a solid cake and reserve any excess butter.
- Half way through cooking, shake the pan back and forth to stop the potatoes from sticking, and flip the potatoes over onto a lid or large plate. Add the reserved butter or spread to the pan and slide the potatoes back into the dish to finish cooking.
- Slice into wedges for serving.
- Try reduced fat spread or spray oil to reduce the fat content of the dish.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?