1 small onion
1 garlic clove
1 x 5ml spoon vegetable oil
½ x 5ml spoon chilli powder
½ x 5ml spoon ground cumin
¼ x 5ml spoon ground coriander
250g lean beef mince 5% fat
1 x 15ml spoon tomato purée
1 x 200g can chopped tomatoes
1 x 200g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 medium fluffy potatoes
e.g. Maris Piper or King Edward
2 x 15ml spoons reduced fat soured cream
45g reduced fat hard cheese e.g. Cheddar
For the salad
1 x bag mixed salad leaves
2 x 15ml spoons reduced fat French dressing
Vegetable knife, chopping board, measuring spoons, frying pan, wooden spoon, can opener, fork, large bowl, grater, plate.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Peel and finely chop or crush the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onion, garlic and spices and cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the mince and cook for 5-10 minutes until brown, stirring occasionally, breaking up the mixture with the back of a spoon.
- Add the tomato purée, chopped tomatoes and red kidney beans. Season, stir and cook gently for 25-30 minutes.
- Pierce the potatoes several times with a fork, and place in the microwave on high for about 10 minutes, until soft. (Microwave times will vary).
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad; Slice the cucumber. Put the salad leaves and cucumber into a large bowl, add the dressing and toss gently.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, slit open. Be careful the potatoes will be hot.
- Grate the cheese.
- Spoon the chilli and a spoon of soured cream over the potato and add some of the grated cheese.
- Serve immediately with the salad.
- For a crispy skin, once cooked in the microwave place the potatoes on a baking tray, in a hot oven (220⁰C, 200⁰C Fan, Gas Mark 7) for approximately 20 minutes.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?