350g new potatoes
½ red onion
100g pancetta (or streaky bacon)
100g crème fraîche
2 tsp horseradish cream
2 smoked mackerel fillets (about 200g)
1 tbsp parsley (or chives)
Saucepan and lid, colander, grater, vegetable knife, tablespoon, frying pan, kitchen paper, mixing bowl, serving dish.
1. Prepare the ingredients:
- wash the potatoes;
- zest and juice the lemon;
- finely chop the onion;
- cut the bacon into small chunks;
- skin and flake the mackerel;
- finely chop the herbs.
2. Cook the potatoes until tender in a pan of boiling. Drain well, then return to the heat briefly to dry out.
3. Add the lemon zest and red onion to the potatoes while they are still hot and lightly break up the potatoes with a fork.
4. Fry the pancetta in a dry pan until golden and crispy and drain off any excess fat on kitchen paper.
5. Combine the crème fraîche, lemon juice and horseradish cream.
6. Add the smoked mackerel, horseradish dressing and pancetta to the potatoes.
7. Sprinkle with parsley, season with freshly ground black pepper and serve while warm.
- Add frozen peas and sweetcorn for extra colour.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?