The Food spoilage, hygiene and safety course has been specifically created for secondary school food teachers throughout the UK. It will help to provide a foundation upon which the GCSE/National 5 specifications may be taught. The course usually costs £45. However, Food – a fact of life is making 1,000 complimentary access codes available to secondary food teachers. (For support on how to register and access the course, please view the support videos - click here.)
The course covers:
- Module 1: Food spoilage
- Module 2: Food poisoning
- Module 3: Food safety
- Module 4: Food preservation
- Module 5: How we use microorganisms
Each module includes a short test, providing you with feedback on your progress. On successful completion of a final assessment, a personalised certificate is created. (The final assessment may be repeated). The course will take approximately 2-3 hours to complete but does not have to be completed all at once. You can complete the course at your own pace – there is no time limit.
To ensure that the complimentary places are used, any course that is not activated, or that is not completed within three months of initial registration, will be deleted to allow another teacher the opportunity to undertake the course.
What will be covered?
- The online course focuses on food spoilage, food poisoning and food safety. In addition, it covers food preservation and how we use microorganisms.
- Links to Food – a fact of life resources are provided.
- Suggestions for further reading and sources of information, including a glossary of terms.
- Update knowledge to enhance teaching and learning about food spoilage, hygiene and safety.
- Signposts to free editable resources for use in the classroom will be highlighted.
- Sources of further support and information will be made available.
- A certificate of completion will be provided – useful as evidence for your professional development and performance management.
- The online course supports the Food teaching in primary and secondary schools: a framework of knowledge and skills – backed by government.
Please note: this comprehensive online course will support your teaching, learning and classroom practice. However, it is not an accredited course and will therefore not provide you with a certificated food hygiene and safety qualification.
Trainee and practising secondary teachers across the UK.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?