100g plain white flour
25g rolled oats
30g caster sugar
25g desiccated coconut
20ml spoon golden syrup
50g butter or soft baking spread
½ x 5ml spoon bicarbonate soda
10ml spoon boiling hot water
Baking tray, weighing scales, sieve, mixing bowl, saucepan, wooden spoon, 5 ml spoon, 15ml spoon, kettle, small bowl, spatula, palette knife, flour dredger, fork, oven gloves and cooling rack.
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC or gas mark 4.
- Grease or line the baking tray.
- Sift the flour into the mixing bowl.
- Mix in the coconut, oats, and sugar.
- Melt the golden syrup and fat together on a low heat in a small saucepan.
- Mix the bicarbonate of soda with the boiling hot water and add to melted syrup and fat immediately.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly until combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly into 8 portions using the 15ml spoon.
- Use lightly floured hands to shape the biscuits into round balls and place onto the prepared baking tray.
- Slightly flatten the biscuits with a lightly floured fork.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool on the baking tray for a few minutes, to allow the biscuits to firm, before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- Try adding some dried fruit to the mixture.
- Use a kettle to get the boiling hot water for adding to the bicarbonate of soda.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?