100g plain flour
50g butter or baking fat/block
2 eating apples
Weighing scales, mixing bowl, wooden spoon, chopping board, knife, ovenproof dish or foil tray, baking tray.
- Preheat oven to 190°C or gas mark 5.
- Rub the fat into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the oats and sugar.
- Cut the apples into quarters and remove the core. Slice thinly.
- Arrange the apple slices in an oven proof/foil tray dish on a baking tray, and then add the sultanas.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping over the apple slices.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, until the apples are soft and the crumble is golden.
- Add a little water to the apples.
- Be creative and experiment with other fruits, such as blackberries, apricots, raspberries, peaches, nectarines, plums or pears.
- You may wish to use canned apple or another type of canned or dried fruit.
- Try using wholemeal flour for the crumble topping or use muesli instead of oats.
Why not use the Explore Food calculator, the British Nutrition Foundation's free online nutritional analysis programme, to calculate the nutritional information for this and other Food - a fact of life recipes?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?